Home > Internationalization > Q&A


1. What is ISA?

The International Students Association (ISA) is a group of student volunteers conducted by International Affair Office, SBA and dedicated to helping our international students acquainted with studying and living at SWUFE and Chengdu.

2. When and how will I get contact with ISA?

ISA will send you emails and get in touch with you since December/June. Please check your emails regularly for some important information. Besides email, it is convenient to communicate with friends on QQ and Wechat.

3. Will there be the pick-up service?

Yes. In the vocation, ISA will send you e-mails and collect your flight information. Usually pick-up service lasts for 2 days before the Orientation Day. However, please notice that the pick-up service is not available when your arrival place and time are not in our service area.

4. How can I register for courses?

In January/July, you will receive the course list from your coordinator. You should fill the learning agreement and register for courses before mobility.

At the beginning of each semester, you will have a chance to try different courses and confirm your course registration list during first week. If there are any changes to your learning agreement, please confirm with your coordinator and sign a new one in second week.

5. Do I live in the dormitory?

No. There are no enough dormitories for exchange students, but ISA will help you with consulting a real estate agency, visiting apartments and finding a proper residence off campus.

6. What is Accommodation Registration at local police station?

Chinese laws stipulate that all foreigners must register at local police station within 24 hours upon arrival. If you arrive early than our pick-up service, please register in time. After you find an apartment and sign the contract, you need go to the police station and register for accommodation.

In case there are any changes to your address, contact information, passport, visa/residence permit, or last date of entry, please update your information at local police station.

7. Do I need the Resident Permit (RP)?

X1 visa is for long-term study (>180 days) and is valid for 30 days only. Please apply for residence permits at least 7 days prior to its expiry.

X2 visa is for short-term study (<=180 days). Please note X2 students who have a plan to go out of mainland China or want to stay longer than 180 days also need to apply for residence permits within the validity period of the visa.

8. What documents are required when applying for RP?

-            Original and copies of passport, visa, and last entry stamp page;

-            Photo (recently taken two-inch half-length, white background, bareheaded and full-faced);

-            Accommodation Registration Form;

-            Other documents from SWUFE.

9. Should I purchase insurance in China?

Yes. All international students are required to purchase an insurance covering their study in China provided by a Chinese insurance company on the orientation day. Please check insurance liabilities here: Insurance Plan A (RMB 300).pdf.

From autumn semester 2017, we will adopt the new insurance type, which is RMB 300 yuan /person /half year, with certain coverage for accidental medical cost and hospitalization and is the same as that recommended on the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC): http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/newsdetailen.aspx?cid=194&id=2716.

10. Where can I get a SIM card?

After your arrival, you can ask your ISA buddy to help you apply for a SIM card from any of the three main operators in China, China Mobile, China Unicom or China Telecom.

11. When can I have my student card?

You will apply for the student card on Orientation Day. It is for identification and payment on campus. You can pay in canteens and most markets. In addition, it is required to bring your student card/passport when you take final exams at SWUFE.

12. Is wifi available on campus?

Yes. There is free wifi, iswufe, covered in all public areas on campus. However, you should open the service and activate your account in advance. Please bring your passport and student card and go to office 2-3, Qizi Building.