Home > Internationalization > Incoming > Content




1. What kind of visa should international students apply for?

International students shall apply for a student visa (X1 or X2) before coming.

X1 visa is for long-term study (> 180 days). Students who hold an X1 visa must apply for a residence permit within 30 days upon arrival in China.

X2 visa is for short-term study (<= 180 days). Students who hold an X2 visa and plan to leave and then return to Chinese mainland also need to apply for a residence permit for more entries in 30 days upon arrival in China.

2. When can I get my acceptance letter?

We will issue the letter of acceptance in June and December for coming semester and send the scanned copy by email, together with the JW202 Form or JW201 Form for international students. In case you need the original, please let us know and we will send to your home university by post.

3. What is Accommodation Registration at local police station?

Chinese laws stipulate that all foreigners must register at local police station within 24 hours upon arrival.

If you book a qualified hotel which can host foreigners, the hotel will register for your accommodation for you once you check in. After you rent your apartment, please ask the landlord which police station its address belongs to, and then you can go and register for your accommodation at the local police station.

The local police stations nearby Liulin Campus are Yunxi Police Station (云溪派出所) and Tianfu Police Station (天府派出所). You can ask ISA volunteers to help if you have any questions.

Please be noted that if there’s any change of your passport, visa and contact information (address and cellphone), you must re-apply for a new accommodation registration form within 10 days. Otherwise, you will be regarded as an illegal resident and fined heavily accordingly.

4. What documents are required for Residence Permit application?

- Passport;

- Passport photos (two-inch);

- Accommodation Registration Form;

- Standard Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (if applicable);

- Other documents from Ms LI Yi (Office: 206, Boxue Building College of International Education, Guanghua Campus, Tel: +86-28-87353263).

5. Is it necessary to purchase an insurance?

All incoming students are suggested to purchase an insurance covering their study in China, and are required to purchase the compulsory one provided by a Chinese insurance company, which is RMB 400 yuan/person/half year. Please check and buy here: www.lxbx.net.

6. What is ISA?

The International Students Association (ISA) is a group of student volunteers conducted by SBA International Affairs Office and dedicated to helping our incoming students get acquainted with studying and living at SWUFE and Chengdu.

7. When and how will I get contact with ISA?

ISA will send you emails and get in touch with you since January/July. Please check your emails regularly for some important information. Besides email, it is convenient to communicate with friends on QQ and WeChat.

8. Will there be the pick-up service?

Yes. Pick-up service is available during the daytime from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport and Tianfu International Airport to SWUFE usually about 2 days before the Orientation Day.

9. How can I get to SWUFE by myself?

- If you take a taxi at airport or Chengdu Railway Station, you can show the taxi driver the address of Liulin Campus成都市温江区柳台大道555号西南财经大学(柳林校区).

- If you take metro from airport to Liulin Campus, you can take the following lines, or check more metro lines here: www.chengdurail.com/ckfw/xlt.htm.


10. How can I register for courses?

In January/July, you will receive the course list from your coordinator. You should fill the learning agreement and register for courses before mobility.

At the beginning of each semester, you will have a chance to try different courses and confirm your course registration list during first week. If there are any changes to your learning agreement, please confirm with your coordinator and sign a new one in second week.

11. Is dormitory available?

There is limited dormitory on campus and is for full-time degree students, which is RMB 500 or 800 yuan/month, signal room, with furniture and bathroom, RMB 1000 yuan for deposit.

For exchange and short-term students, ISA will help you with consulting a real estate agency, visiting apartments and finding a proper residence off campus, which is about RMB 1500-2500 yuan/month depending on its location and room conditions.

12. Where can I get a SIM card?

After your arrival, you can ask your ISA volunteer to help you apply for a SIM card from any of the three main providers in China, China Telecom(中国电信), China Mobile(中国移动), and China Unicom(中国联通). Usually, the contract length shall be at least three months.

13. When can I have my student card?

You will apply for the student card on Orientation Day. It is for identification and payment on campus. You can pay in canteens and most markets. In addition, it is required to bring your student card/passport when you take final exams at SWUFE.

14. Is WiFi available on campus?

Yes. There is free WiFi “iswufe” covering all public areas on campus. However, you should open the service and activate your account in advance.

Meanwhile, you can access to “eduroam” with your account at home university.

15. What are the popular chat tools or applications?

WeChat and QQ are the most widely used applications for sending messages or documents, online calling, moment sharing etc., applicable to both work and private occasions.

16. How about payment methods?

You can pay by UnionPay bank card or in cash, and you can also link an international card in WeChat Pay or Alipay within limits.

WeChat Pay supports international cards issued by VISA, MASTERCARD, AMEX, JCB, DINERS, DISCOVER, and CLUB.

Alipay supports international cards issued by VISA, MASTERCARD, JCB, DINERS, and DISCOVER.

17. Do I need to wear a mask?

Masks are not mandatory. You can wear or not wear as you wish. In crowded places and public transportation, such as buses and subways, it is recommended to wear masks, wash hands frequently and disinfect, and maintain personal hygiene.